The Club began as the Sutton-in-Ashfield District Radio Society in 1936, the membership fee was 2/6d plus 6d per week subs. Meeting were held on Sunday mornings from 10.30 to 12.30.
Morse classes were started in the December 1936, these being advertised in the Notts. Free Press newspaper.
The war years curtailed the activities of the society, only sporadic meeting throughout the conflict.
After the war the society meeting were held at the Swan Hotel, and in coming together with the members of the Mansfield branch of the Radio Society of Great Britain, and became the Mansfield Amateur Radio Society. Membership has fluctuated and at times reached 40 members.
The venue has also changed a number of times, from the Swan Hotel it moved to various public houses, the next one being the Denman's Head, then the Hope & Anchor, The New Inn, The Victoria Social Club, Westfield Folk House, The Polish Club, The Debdale Sports Club, The Intake Club, The Maltings, William IV Pub and last venue the Linden Social Club.
The society ceased in July 2017 as membership had fallen to 8 members and most are not active ‘on the air’ due to personal reasons.